Wednesday, August 30, 2006

"Nonna and Nonno, I think we are Good People"

I was invited to eat dinner at the house of an Italian couple here in Franklin Lakes, NJ last Sunday evening. It was a typical Italian dinner: tomato with mozzarella, salami di Milano, roasted pepper and olives for aperitifs, pasta for prima piatto and breaded chicken breast with salad for secunda piatto, apple pie with gelato, cappuccino and sambucha for antipasto. With us was their 12 year old granddaughter. After the antipasto, the wife packed some of the food and brought it to their neighbor who is a an 80 year old widow. When the wife returned, the granddaughter said "Nonna and Nonno (grandma and grandpa) I think we are good people because we share what we have with a neighbor". I was mesmerized. I remembered what my late father used to tell me- "Share your blessing with those who need it." The girl saw the goodness and kindness of her grandparents. I told her how lucky she is to have them as her grandparents and it's up to her and her cousins to continue that legacy- being good people. I hope that parents and grandparents all over the world would instill good value to their children and grandchildren through their example and not just through words.

G.C. UANAN
30 October 2006

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i also really think we are good people. many of us. all of us. sometimes we are just lazy to take that extra effort to do it.

Anonymous said...

kindly tell them the food was great, thanks a lot!!!!