Tuesday, December 05, 2006

9th Sacerdotal Anniversary




I was ordained to the priesthood 9 years ago today. I did a sort of self-evaluation on how far have I gone on my priesthood last night. I realized that a lot of things have happened in my life as a priest. There were triumphs and there were setbacks…. There were moments of motivation and there were moments of rejection. There were challenges solved but there were more left unsolved. Amidst these contrasting experiences I can only thank the Lord for the gift of vocation. Today, the words of my mother when she was given the chance to talk on the day of my ordination (as it was customary in our diocese) reverberates in my hearing: “My dear son, today marks the attainment of your aspirations. You are now standing by the altar of the Lord. We share in your blissfulness on this day. Allow me then to give you some parental advice before you are plunged into the real world. You must not be engrossed about having reached the top because the priesthood entails leading and serving at the same time. The priesthood is not a career where the success is gauged by fame, wealth and gain. Look at this moment as the beginning, not the fulfillment, for it is in how you will serve that your success will be seen. Moreover, you should not claim the success- for this belongs to God whom you shall serve all your life as his instrument. Be faithful to your vocation.


n.b. I celebrated my 9th year in the Priesthood with a Eucharist in one of the Grotto Chapels at the Basilica of St. Peter early this morning. With me was my ever kind and thoughtful friend- Fr. Freddie Billanes.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniv mi amico!!! Uy magpapakanto siya :) Sarap na naman pulutan na luto nya hehehehe

Anonymous said...

Pads,

Keep up the good work...We hope you are still the same Fr. Greg of the masa and the poor farmers when you are back from Rome.

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary... Nice pictures... Fr. Greg

Anonymous said...

sana sa Pinas na next anniversary mo.

Anonymous said...

Happy 9th Anniversary Fr. Gregory...

miss u