Thursday, November 06, 2008

Democracy at work, but...


While in the United States during the election period, I feel privileged to have witnessed their kind of Democracy at work (not necessarily at its best). There are things that I liked and I hope that those things will be applied in the Philippine Electoral system. But, there are things that I disliked too.

What I liked:

- The two party system: This ensures that there will be no turncoats or "balimbings". Politics of issues and not personalities is promoted.

- The speedy counting of votes: As soon as the polling stations have closed, the winner can be known. It is the very opposite of our electoral system in the Philippines wherein it takes more than a month to know the winners in national elections. Our electoral system should be automated as soon as possible.

-The statesmanship of the losing candidate: Hearing John McCain conceding defeat as soon as he was informed of the final count manifested his statesmanship. It made me wonder if defeated candidate (in a clean and honest election) in the Philippines can ever be capable of such gesture. Being an active PPC-RV volunteer during elections in the Philippines, I can say that almost all losing candidates claim that they were cheated.

What I disliked:

- Mudslinging: This is an aspect of Philippine politics that happens even in the United States (or did we learn it from them?). Both parties were guilty of this in their paid advertisements. It came really harsh when demolition jobs were done against VP Candidate Sarah Palin- particularly when false stories spread that her baby with special needs was the child of her daughter and that she had to cover up for her.

- Media Endorsement: In my humble opinion, this should be prohibited. For, how can the media remain objective if they endorse candidates?

I hope that the winner will be able to fulfill his campaign promises. :)

No comments: