Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Stop the Killings!!!

I kept my mouth shut and my keyboards at a halt when the issue about the political killings in the Philippines was first brought out in the news in the early part of 2006. At that time, I thought that the killings were not politically motivated and could have been the result of personal grudges and other cases. But with the rate it has been going on with impunity until now (even after the Melo Commission and the UN human rights body gave their respective reports), the latest of which is a witness in the UN human rights probe, I am now convinced that the killings were politically motivated. It has a chilling effect on me as I reminisce my childhood during martial law- the stage at our basketball court in San Pablo, Isabela (North Luzon) is turned into a makeshift morgue for victims of "salvaging"€. There was even a time when corpses were brought in that spot continuously for several consecutive weeks. Most of them were not identified and no relatives were there to claim their remains. For sure, they were part of the "desapericados"€ of martial law- brought into a rural town like ours where they were eventually killed so no one can identify them. It is happening again. The killings that happened 30 years ago is happening again! The government should do something. Its inability to stop the killings validates the accusation that it has condoned such.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is never right to take life.

Anonymous said...

Martial law is a thing from past and lets leave it at that. We should all work hand in hand to stop it from happening again. It pains me to know that we have to wait for countless lives to be sacrificed before we do anything. I strongly condemn such unforgivable selfish acts and I personally think that the brain of all these are weaklings if not, cowards hiding behind guns, goons and gold.

Anonymous said...

Father, even in Isabela madami na namatay na aktibista. Sana there will be justice for them and all victims of political killings