Wednesday, December 05, 2007

10th Anniversary




(My Ordination Logo)








Today is the 10th Anniversary of my Sacerdotal Ordination. I celebrated the Mass in joyful thanksgiving to God for the gift of Vocation at the Mother of Mercy Grotto beneath St. Peter’s Basilica at the Vatican. My friends Fr. Gregory Gaston and Fr. Tony Ricarte concelebrated with me. I am sharing with you my mother’s speech after my ordination (my father died two years before I was ordained):

“My Only Son- Now A Priest”

Your Excellencies- Bishop Miguel Purugganan and Co-Adjutor Bishop Sergio Utleg, Rev. Monsignori, Rev. Fathers, Beloved Friends and Relatives, Good Morning.

Where should I begin…. I do not know how to start for I have diverse feelings as I stand before you this morning- a feeling of happiness and a feeling of pensiveness. On one hand, I am happy and full of eagerness because at long last, my son’s cherished dream of reaching the goal for which he has been called has been realized. On the other hand, I should say that contrasting this feeling of gladness is a lingering anxiety due to the conspicuous absence of my late husband on this momentous event in the life of our only son.

Twenty-seven years ago, my late husband and I were both very happy and filled with enthusiasm when I gave birth to a very healthy baby boy- our second child. Our old folks were then very exuberant- arguing among themselves whom the baby boy would be like. The first thing we did was to give him a name- we got his name from the calendar which was then customary at that time- interestingly, we gave him the name of a great Pope who became a saint- St. Gregory VII. Little did we know, he is going to live up literally closer to his name- Gregorio, which also comes from the Latin word grex- which means flock. As a priest, he will be tending and guiding a flock- the Lord’s flock.

Grevy, as he is fondly called, was brought up in an atmosphere wherein he was made aware of God’s presence and love as we opened his eyes into our faith. This, for us, is our greatest achievement as his parents. He grew up like any other normal boy- playful, active and full of excitement. At such an early age we already noticed in him the earlier manifestations of the seed of vocation. I do not know if Fr. Grevy could still remember- when he was barely five years old, there is one instance which has literally manifested such an inclination. As some of you could recall, my late Mother-in-law was then the one in-charge of the maintenance of the statues of santos and santas in this Church. There was a time when she brought home the garments of those statues for laundry. Little Grevy got a hand on one of them- a white one, and fitted it into himself like a small cassock. Then, he came out running- trying to steal everyone’s attention by saying “innadda bi- Fr. Uanan baddi nga(look at me I am little Fr. Uanan)- obviously inferring himself to his uncle, “Fr. Uanan dakal”- Fr. Pacoy. At that time, also another relative, his first cousin- Fr. Edwin Ramirez was still a seminarian.

What we have noticed were confirmed when, upon graduation from elementary, he intimated unto us that he wanted to study in the minor seminary- San Jacinto Seminary in Tuguegarao. He asked us something which we could not, in any way, refuse. Thus, my late husband and I agreed to send him in that school. Relatives and friends had mixed reactions upon learning that he is entering the seminary- some said that two priests in the clan is enough. Others were concerned that no one will propagate the family name, Grevy being the only son. Nevertheless, we allowed him to pursue what he desired. We did not, in any manner, force him into it. After all, who are we to force into him or to stand against- such a craving of the heart. After the minor seminary, he decided to continue. He entered the major seminary. Again, we did not stand on his way. Neither was his decision due to our propensity. It was his vocation, not ours. At that time we are sure about his conviction and we have accepted it. The least that we could do was to support and nurture his calling and pray for his success. This we did until he has reached his goal. We are, therefore, glad that he has reached this moment in his life.

My dear son, today marks the attainment of your aspiration. You are now standing by the altar of the Lord. We share in your blissfulness on this day. Allow me then to give you some parental advises before you are plunged into the real world. You must not be engrossed about having reached the top because the priesthood entails leading and serving at the same time. The priesthood is not a career where the success is gauged by fame, wealth and gain. Look at this moment as the beginning, not the fulfillment, for it is in how you will serve that your success will be seen. Moreover, you should not claim the success- for this belongs to God whom you shall serve all your life as his instrument. Be faithful to your vocation.

Finally, as I wind up my message I would like to take the opportunity to thank the bishop and the co-adjutor bishop with the clergy of the diocese of Ilagan in welcoming my son into their fold. I did not lost a son, rather we have gained a larger family in you. To Fr. Pacoy(Fr. Uanan “dakal”) who has untiringly supported Fr. Grevy(Fr. Uanan “baddi”- no longer small literally speaking). To the seminary formators here present, who have guided my son during his seminary formation and to those who have helped my son reach his goal in one way or another, my deepest gratitude. To all of you dear friends and relatives who have graced this most awaited moment in the life of my son, Thank You Very Much!

To my dear friends on the net, please pray for me....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

10 Fruitful years of serving the poor and the oppressed. Congrats pads!

Anonymous said...

dear father greg: I thank the Lord for you for being so generous of giving yourself to Him to serve His church. Along your journey, I am grateful likewise to chave crossed your path, and then made part of that journey of faith. i wish i was there with you to celebrate that beautiful mass you celebrated at the grotto of Mother of Mercy under St. Peter's Basilica. May God bring to fruition what He has begun in you. rj.